Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Power of Art

I've just walked down the hall and put the kids to bed; and I get a little thrill every time I catch a glance at the new framed print hanging there at the end of the hallway!  I really love it.
My new artwork from Target who would have thought - You can find art you love in the least expected places! it is called Spring Romance by Lisa Audit

I had gone to target to get an inexpensive frame for my girls' room (they usually have a good selection) when I spotted this unexpected gem!  I looked at it longingly but thought where will I put it? do I really need it? and left without giving it too much thought.  But later that day and for the next few days I kept thinking of that print.  That's the beauty of art sometimes you can't even leave the place without the piece you've fallen in love with; and other times it sneaks up on you and you can't stop thinking about it!  So I headed back and loved it even more the second time and promptly took it to the checkout! and it was a bargain too.

This is one of my favourite prints from working in the gallery Robert Doisneau "The Kiss"
My love of art started at a young age - always colouring and creating something!  I studied art at school and then managed a B & W photographic print gallery before heading off to uni.  During this time it really wet my appetite for art, I've seen quite a lot of visiting exhibitions and really enjoy visiting Goma regularly.

The Andy Warhol Exhibition was fabulous - he was such an amazing innovative artist!
I've also been lucky enough to visit the Louvre and a few other extraordinary galleries, but I genuinely love local art as well whether it's an original from the markets or a reproduction online, art can really make a statement in a room and really bring life to a home or office.  My problem is that I don't have enough walls to hang all of the things I'd like to have on display.

The great thing is that there are no rules when it comes to art.  If you are buying an original, I'm sure it'll be something you love as you will probably have it for a long time. If you buy something inexpensive and your tastes change or you move and no longer have a home for something; you can donate your art to charity or an op shop.  Ebay is also a great way to pass on your artwork to a new owner. 
This is a work by Anthony Pilley called La Rambla de Barcelona, I thought I brought home a print of this from a trip a few years ago but I didn't check what was in the tube and to my dismay I didn't discover I had been given the wrong print until I got home!  I still love it.
If it's a collection of photos you can update them at your leisure.  I have an array of prints, travelling and family photos, a couple of original prints and sketches in my home.  I also have framed postcards of retro artwork from overseas and these have made great original quirky pieces.

Postcards can make great artwork framed with a mount - image by Yadid Levy on Imagestate.com

Art doesn't have to be expensive.  You can let your creativity takeover and paint a canvas or have one of your own photos printed on a canvas for a personal touch.

This is one of my favourite travel snaps that I have framed with a few others.  It's hard to take a bad picture in Santorini, right? I can never get tired of that view!(please link to my blog if you use this image by CCoombes)
IKEA have great frames and you can take your children's, grandchildren's or your own work and put it in a frame.

If you are looking for original work local markets and galleries are a good place to start.  The internet has also allowed galleries to become more "global" and you can browse collections online.

Local french born artist Sylvie Leroy "Promenade/Stroll" see more of her work at her exhibition in April details in this link Sylvie Leroy exhibition or visit her website
www.sleroypaintings.com

For more inspiration checkout the new book 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die.

A must read for art lovers available online from Amazon or get your local book shop to order in for you!
Another of my fave's Gustav Klimt's The Kiss image from the The Artchive

Spruce up a spare wall space today!

No comments:

Post a Comment